Thursday 28 August 2008

A Clockwork Orange

I know most people have seen the film, but if you haven't read the book yet, it's a must.  I read it recently and it's already one of my favorites.  For me, the charm was all in the language.  Anthony Burgess writes using an Anglo-Russian slang called Nadsat and it's these words which make it so unique.   A few of my favorites being 'goober' (lip), 'gulliwuts' (guts) and 'toofles' (slippers).  The almost comic style of writing makes an interesting contrast to the violence in the book.  There's a whole glossary at the back so you know what's going on, but generally, you get the idea.  It's good to look at just for inspiration, especially when needing copy writing ideas.  Sometimes English just doesn't convey meaning as well as a bit of chepooka language...

No comments: