Monday 11 August 2008

Doritos Ad Competition

So, over the past year I've been doing bits and bobs of work for a company called Face. They're a youth marketing agency and they get young people to think of the ideas behind big brands. So far I've done work for Sure, Lynx and I'm currently working with Doritos for the next year. A couple of months ago they had this national competition to get the public to make their next ad. I think it's a pretty genius idea as it's fun and it gets the consumer involved in the brand. They also offered a whopping £20,000 for the winning ad which was to be aired during the World Cup and it was also the first ad to be beamed into space!! I helped judge the entries, and week by week we whittled them down. Unfortunately I couldn't make the final judging session but this is the winning entry:



Personally, this wasn't my favourite. Considering over 900 people entered, I thought this was a pretty disappointing choice. It's been well executed but it lacks edge and excitement. One of my favourites was this one, which I think is hilarious:



I think it's quirky and witty. I love how they've elevated Doritos to being currency- something that's of value. They're selling Doritos from a different angle to your typical snack advertising which I think would have made this ad stand out on TV. If you want to see more of the ads go to

http://www.doritos.co.uk/

No comments: