Monday 1 September 2008

Face Food

I came across this amazing little book yesterday that I'm really excited about.  Being a complete foodie, I was hoping that I could write about something food related on my blog.  "Face Food" is a collection of images of Japanese bento boxes that are more like works of art than your average packed lunch.  Parents have literally created visual feasts for their children's lunches.  I think it's a brilliant way to make kids enjoy their food and encourage them to eat healthily.  Most of the components are made from rice, vegetables and fish cakes so not only are the meals nutritionally balanced but great fun too.  They make ham sandwiches and a packet of crisps seem somewhat pathetic...




2 comments:

Louise Daniels said...

Hi miyelle, I am also a fellow foodie!! where did you find this book?! I love it! Although it does make me wonder (as these past few months, I've been making my 9-yr-old sisters lunch daily!) where do these parents find time to do this?! Also, do you think that the japanese mums/dads are involved in some kind of competition to make their kids lunchbox look the best?! I can just imagine some kid picking on another for not having an as aesthetically pleasing lunch!!

Miyelle said...

Hey Louise,

Hurrah- a fellow foodie! Maybe we should set up a food appreciation society when we get back to Uni?! I found this book at the Tate Modern gift shop. You can get it on Amazon though. I have to admit, although those lunches are works of art- I think the parents have a little too much time on their hands! Unless they're super skilled and can make them as fast as a sandwich! I agree, you'd feel a bit inferior if the kid sitting next to you had a lunch box like that. But I used to get jealous of my friends tuna sanwiches so maybe they don't have to be that fancy after all..