Monday 1 September 2008

Street Art


Each time I walk past the Tate Modern, I can't help but be blown away by it's outdoor exhibition of street art.  It's the first time they've used the facade of the building as a canvas for artists.  The sheer scale of it alone, is impressive.  My favourite piece is by JR, of the black man holding what on first impressions seems to be a gun, but when you look closer is a video camera.  It's not only technically brilliant with it's photographic quality, but it also challenges your negative assumptions.  
You can also take the Street Art walking tour, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I started it with my friends, feeling positive about the combination of culture and exercise the walk would bring.  But it was a big disappointment.  The first few pieces were nothing to write home about, and you could easily walk past them without a second thought.  The walk then took us through Borough, one of the most depressing, nondescript areas of London I've been to.  After that, we gave up and went in search for a cup of tea which was much more rewarding.

1 comment:

smp_123 said...

I don't think these artists could ask for a better location to display their work! Walking over the bridge every morning I never got bored of them, although I always thought that the cut out head one looked only half finished!