Wednesday 17 September 2008

Quirky Korea part 1: Brilliant Bogs

I've just got back from a trip to Korea in which I discovered all sorts of innovative and crazy things. Koreans are very much into their high-tech design and I was constantly impressed by their forward thinking. Being half Korean, I though I'd dedicate my next few posts to my second home.

Everywhere I went, I was pleasantly surprised by something, often in a place I least expected. This leads me onto my first post, dedicated to the wonderful toilets I came across. Never has going to the loo been so exciting!

I discovered this little gem at a department store in Seoul. A special little loo has been built so that mother and child can pee at the same time. Now that's what I call bonding...


I came across this clever device when I made a trip to the ladies at Seoul City Hall. It's called an 'Etiquette Bell' and you use it when you want some err, discretion. At the press of a button it creates the sound of flushing so you can poop to your hearts content.


This digital pad is a toilets best friend and I found them everywhere. Even my Grandma has one. You can control the temperature of the seat so your cheeks are nice and toasty. If you press the wash button, a little nozzle pops out the basin and sprays water so you're sparkly clean down under. Naturally, you'd blow dry afterwards.




This is the hygiene king of toilets. The seat is covered in plastic wrapping and when you press a button , it revolves so it's all fresh and new. You won't catch anything from this bog. As you can see, I had fun playing with this one. I think I need to get out more...

After all this modern design, I breathed a sigh of relief when I discovered this classical style loo at the Deoksugung Palace. It even came with male and female signs dressed in traditional attire. Brilliant!

No comments: